- BREXIT: Sudden re-installation of tariffs and trade barriers will drive up import prices, undermining consumer confidence and skewing demand towards essential and value products in the short-term.
- EMERGENCE OF NEW TRADE DEALS: Improved access to foreign goods coupled with growing cultural awareness will further drive demand for international products and grow expectations regarding assortment availability
- CHINA-US TRADE WARS: Worsening growth prospects will drive job insecurity and impact on consumer confidence levels, with a risk of recessionary mindsets spreading among shoppers.
- CHINA'S OBOR INITIATIVE: Initially designed to secure commodity supply for China’s manufacturing industry, OBOR should eventually be used as an export route for Chinese brands, giving consumers more choice globally.
- PROTECTIONISM: A lack of competition will put upward pressure on consumer prices, undermining spending power and driving demand for value products in day-to-day shopper missions.
- DATA SAFETY REGULATIONS: Introduction of the new data safety regulation will drive trust in and acceptance of ecommerce, especially on new touchpoint devices such as smartphones and voice assistants.
- ANTI-TRUST REGULATIONS: While anti-trust action at this point will hit some highly-efficient ecommerce and data businesses, shoppers will benefit from more choice and competition long-term in a more diverse landscape.
- CROSS-BORDER ECOMMERCE: Easier access to cross-border commerce will raise shopper expectations regarding assortment availability and enable price comparison.
- SUSTAINABLE FULFILLMENT: Changes in urban transportation will lead to smaller and more frequent shopping missions and increase dwell times at forecourt stores as e-cars spread.
- NEW PACKAGING REGULATIONS: Growing environmental consciousness will lead to more shoppers considering characteristics such as packaging, as well as overall messaging on sustainability and brand values.
- FOOD STANDARD SWITCHES: Health & Wellness aspirations will further influence consumer choices and grow demand for low, free-from, and organic ranges.
DIGITAL COMMERCE, DECODED.
<DEFINE/> Plan your retail strategy with market intelligence and forecasting
<DEMYSTIFY/> Optimize your digital shelf execution to drive margin and sales growth online
<DELIVER/> Monitor online performance and results in sales and market share
Understand what’s happening in retail and equip yourself to make the next winning move.
Our client engagement team is standing by with world-class retail insights and solutions to meet your unique state of business. Email us at email@example.com.
DOWNLOAD OUR FULL FUTURE RETAIL DISRUPTION REPORT
Fill out the form below to download our full Future Retail Disruption Report, which includes a deep-dive on the drivers of ecommerce change, the strategies brands and retailers need to win, case studies from market leaders and innovators and more.