Singles’ Day, the November 11th online discount sales phenomenon that began in China, this year for certain achieved the biggest sales ever in a single day anywhere in the world. During the 24-hour shopping bonanza, sales recorded through Alibaba’s ecommerce platform alone amounted to over US$30 billion. International expansion was a top priority for Alibaba– this year's event saw transactions made in 230 countries and regions, and 40% of consumers bought from an international brand.
Beyond the significant sales growth this year, how were the manufacturer brands performing during Singles’ Day and its 3-week pre-sales period? In the ‘Singles’ Day digital shelf performance report’ compiled by Edge, we look into the Edge digital shelf data harvested from November 1st to 12th, covering 578 brands and over 50,000 SKUs. We focus on the digital shelf metrics of availability and pricing to evaluate the performance of retailers and product categories. Here are some key findings:
- Retailers and brands all have room to improve on their availability during Singles’ Day sales period.
- On Singles’ Day, the availability on TMALL and JD was less than 90%, while YHD and Suning had less than 50% of availability.
- In terms of product categories, pet care, food and beverage had lower availability during Singles’ Day sales period, while personal care products had availability over 95%.
- Consider if your category is competing in price before you determine your Singles’ Day strategy.
- On JD and YHD, nearly 30% of the products were selling the lowest price before Singles’ Day to secure the sales beforehand.
- Personal care, oral care and chocolate were the categories offering the lowest price on Singles’ Day, with over 80% discounted SKUs.
Please fill out the form on the right to download the report.
If you’re interested learning how Edge can help optimize your digital shelf performance, please contact our consultant team at firstname.lastname@example.org and +86 21 52993930 ext 812.